Research & Strategic Planning
The Research & Strategic Planning Division provides information, research, analysis and evaluation of planning practices to inform the Department’s policy-making and neighborhood revitalization activities.
The division is responsible for:
- Maintaining and updating the City’s Comprehensive Master Plan;
- Producing the City’s cooperative population and employment forecasts in collaboration with the member jurisdictions of the Baltimore Metropolitan Council;
- Preparing for each decennial census and working with the US Census Bureau to produce annual population estimates;
- Providing GIS-based information and analysis to support planning initiatives;
- Preparing the Department newsletter, The Compass.
The Division also provides City agencies and the Mayor’s Office with data analysis, best practice research and grant opportunities for the various fields of planning.
We work closely with the Baltimore Development Corporation, Baltimore Neighborhood’s Indicators Alliance, the Greater Baltimore Committee and other community, academic, local, state, and federal organizations.