Baltimore Planning Academy
Recruiting for the Spring 2021 Cohort Opens November 30, 2020!
|The 4th Cohort of Planning Academy shifted to an virtual model in the Fall of 2020. |
In the Spring of 2021, we will offer our 5th Cohort. We anticipate a mix of in-person and virtual learning over a six week period (May-June 2021).
The application will be open until December 14, 2020. Applicants will be notified of their status on/around January 4, 2021.
Questions can be directed to [email protected]
The application is available via www.baltimoreplanningacademy.com
Baltimore's Planning Academy is a project of Baltimore's Department of Planning.
It is a free six-week course with a focus on urban planning, zoning, and development in Baltimore.
The Baltimore Planning Academy aims to build community leadership around urban planning, zoning and development issues through a Baltimore lens.
Goals for the Planning Academy:
- Build community across neighborhoods in Baltimore City through engagement around urban planning.
- Connect advocates and leaders to City resources, tools and information around zoning and development.
- Empower residents to shape the future of their neighborhoods and of Baltimore.
Testimonials from Past Participants
(Our Alumni are posing with Planning Department Assistant Director, Stephanie!)
Each cohort covers the basic principles of zoning; the development review process; and urban planning. Our instructors are a mix of Planning professionals from the Department of Planning and external guest speakers. During each six week session, we strive to offer at least one off-site tour of a development project or site in the City of Baltimore.
After completing the Planning Academy, our team wants participants to walk away with knowledge including:
- An understanding of zoning principles (eg: "By-Right" development, conditional uses, variances) and how to navigate the zoning code
- How to assess if a neighborhood plan is the right next step for their community
- How to effectively participate in a BMZA or Planning Commission hearing, and the differences in function between these two bodies
Sample curriculum from Fall 2020 may be viewed here for more details about what you can expect as a participant!
What Brought Us Here Today? What Do We Want to Learn? The following word maps are based on responses of participants during the introduction of the Spring 2019 Planning Academy.
Presentations from Prior Years: